Sunday, 16 April 2017

Week 1, Post 2 (Monday, April 10 - Sunday, April 16)

My hours are Monday to Friday 9-5 with an hour lunch. Sorbara being only a 5-minute drive from my house I love the fact that I am able to go home for lunch, make some food, and relax which is very nice. I work on the third floor with 3 other employees, they all seem to work real estate, which includes our guest we had in Corporate class named James. He is a great help when I have questions or need a "hole puncher". I have my own desk with my own computer and was given all new work supplies which were greatly appreciated. I do not have a phone but there are a couple of phones I am able to use if need be. The firm is so organized and I am slightly obsessed as my OCD appreciates it. There are two printers, one coloured and one that does everything you can imagine except print colour. My daily routine is obviously to get my work done. Each day so far I have been given different tasks so as of now I can't really say there is an exact routine in order. Basically, I come in at 9, check my emails and go!

My work is initiated by Erin or she will let me know what lawyer needs me, which my work is then initiated by the Lawyer. I have currently been doing work for two of the corporate lawyers and Erin. My work is initiated verbally unless Erin needs a certain task done, it is then emailed.

This week I particularly enjoyed incorporating my first company. It was to become a numbered company which was done on Fast Company. Once I input all necessary information, it was then incorporated through Cyberbahn. In order to do this, I had to draft the Articles of Incorporation, email the draft along with Direction to the client for approval and signature of direction. I then processed it through Cyberbahn which then provided me with the invoice charge and gave me the numbered name. I then forwarded it to the client via email and opened a physical file. There was much more to it than that but this gives you an idea.

Regarding a phone, as I said I do not have one, as I do not need one. Almost all conversation is done through email and I am so busy preparing incorporation reports, filing and as I said above, Incorporating Companies, when it comes to interaction it is all face to face or email.




SCHOOL RELATED REFLECTION



When asked if I would have preferred an exam instead of the smaller, more frequent test/quizzes/portfolio, I would have to say probably not. Although I wish many things were different in my 2 years of our Legal program that would not be one of them. My life was quite the task outside of school I am embarrassed to say that studying never happened. I only worked on my schooling at school during school hours and never took it outside of the college due to personal home issues, except near the end when my marks needed a serious upgrade. Being said an exam would definitely not be a benefit to me as it requires ample amounts of studying, and with my personal issues, it was infeasible. Given the ability to work in class and with the teacher as each assignment was assigned, made this program a great success for me.

Since I do not learn by writing a test or exam, opening a physical file and having the right instruction, I always succeeded. I also found it helpful when answer keys were placed on the bulletin board as on numerous occasions I went to that board for direction...Thank you, Mrs. Bradley.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your very informative posts Tiffany. When you were producing the articles of incorporation, did you follow a precedent or need to key in anything new to you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was no precedent, as it was all completed in Fast Company I am strictly given the information to input for the client and once all is complete it then does the transfer and I create the Articles.

      Delete

Week 3, Post 2 (Monday, April 24 - Sunday, April 30)

Through this program , I have changed from a year 1 office admin to a year 2 graduate legal admin working in the legal field. From research...