Sunday, 16 April 2017

Week 1, Post 1 (Monday, April 10 - Sunday, April 16)

My Law Firm is Sorbara Law. I was lucky enough to be offered this placement being the fact it was through our Corporate Law teacher. Being said the area of law which I am working in at Sorbara is Corporate.

Sorbara Law's mission statement is "At SorbaraLaw, our goal is to achieve the best possible outcome in the shortest possible time and at the least possible cost for every client and for every legal matter with which we are entrusted."

Initially, there was no orientation received. During my interview, I was explained what I will be expected to do and my understanding was proven once I was offered the position. I was introduced to the staff (which was over 20 employees) as well as given a tour around the facility. I was shown all the different departments, which at Sorbara include Family Law, Corporate Law, Real Estate, Wills and Estates and Litigation. I am proud to say Sorbara is a big name in the Legal Field and I am honoured to be a part of it.

I was introduced to all of the staff by Erin, and Sorbara being such a huge firm I did not take in all of the names and have only been concentrating on the names of the lawyers I am working for, being said I am currently working for two Corporate lawyers as well as Erin.

There was no manual of office procedures provided to me. Since I was taught in class by Erin herself, and the fact I am currently only a student, I don't think a manual is really needed at this stage and was also told if I needed help to ask. All documents have precedents to follow which are easily sought at through the computer stored in a specific drive.

Currently, nothing has surprised me about the office regarding what I am doing as Erin was an amazing teacher and now being able to focus on one specific area of law, I find it much easier than so many different clients, so many different fields, pertaining so many different classes. Although I must say I am surprised at how friendly, outgoing the staff is. I always have had an impression that some law firms would be strict and that lawyers may act on their higher ranking in society, but not here. Everyone is treated equal and the energy is amazing. Lawyers respect the work a legal assistant puts in and knows that they are the backbone of their work. Like the bulletin board quoted "the lawyer promises the client the world, and legal assistant gets it," at least I think that is what it said.

In conclusion, my impressions of the office environment are absolutely positive. I am so grateful I was given the opportunity to work at this law firm and I am learning so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 3, Post 2 (Monday, April 24 - Sunday, April 30)

Through this program , I have changed from a year 1 office admin to a year 2 graduate legal admin working in the legal field. From research...